The Group, makes it fun.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Deep Diver Specialty

Last weekend my wife Christina and I got our Deep Diver Specialty while aboard the Naknek out of Friday Harbor. The course, taught by Instructor Charlynn Sutton, was spectacular. I have to admit that I was a bit nervous before the first dive and the thought of going below 100 hundred feet seemed like a long way down. Charlynn put us at ease and the first dive went perfect. I ended the dive with around 500 psi as planned and we dove to 115 feet. I felt the effects of Narcosis for the first time. I wouldn't say I felt drunk but everything did seem to take more time and thought to accomplish. I found myself really having to concentrate even to just to check my computer.

At our safety stop on the first dive we parked right next to a Puget Sound King Crab. I was quite surprised that we found one. These guys are huge. We even say a baby King Crab on our next dive.

The real benefit of taking the Deep Specialty is not that we are now certified to dive to 130 feet (which we did on the second day of diving) but that we learned how to plan our dives for such depths. This course was really a confidence booster and I can't wait to get in the water again.

Before the class I purchased a pony bottle which I highly recommend owning when going deep. On our second dive I switched to the pony for practice and it was reassuring to know that I had another 10 minutes of air in case I had an emergency. I think this is a must have for all divers. A pony bottle isn't that expensive and easily mounts to your main tank using the same strap on your BC. If you decide to upgrade your primary regulator, keep your old one and use it on your pony or pick up a used one at a discount from Gone Diving's rental stock.

One other thing to note is that all rentals are 50% off from Gone Diving if you are enrolled in a course from them.

See you in the sound!

No comments: