The Group, makes it fun.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Favorite Dive Movies

While flipping through the channels this week I came upon the movie "The Deep" staring Nick Nolte, Jacqueline Bisset, and Louis Gosset Jr (with a really bad French accent.)  Surprisingly there was some really good dive sequences.  For being filmed over 30 years ago I was amazed at how little and much dive gear has changed.  The regulators and tanks look very similar to what we use today.  The major difference was the BCs or lack there of.  The tanks were just attached with a harness and weight belts were worn.  I guess buoyancy was mainly controlled by breathing.  There was even a night dive sequence and the underwater light wasn't much different than what I have now, just not an LED.  Anyway, if you can catch the flick or find it on DVD, I think you will get a kick out of it.  

What's your favorite dive movie?

Here is a few I found on Scubaboard:

Beneath 12-Mile reef
The Frogmen
Raider From Beneath the Sea (1964)
Manfish - starring Jane Russell
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Jaws 
Easy Come, Easy Go
Thunderball 
Never Say Never Again 
Blue Water, White Death
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Deep 
Deep Star Six 
Sharks Treasure (1975) 

The Abyss
The Big Blue
Sphere
Zombie Holocaust
Open Water
Men of Honor
Aliens of the Deep
Deep Blue Sea
Finding Nemo
The Life Aquatic
Into The Blue
The Cave

7 comments:

a*m*a*n*d*a said...

OMG-- The Deep was just on the other weekend, I watched it with wide eyes-- It was nuts!!!

Unknown said...

There are some documentaries about scuba that I really like:

Encounters at the End of the World has some amazing footage of Diving in Antarctica.

I also like the Howard Hall IMAX movies. There's a new one out (I think it's playing at the Science Center).

Here's my list of favorite scuba movies.

Anonymous said...

Not a movie but I have always wanted to see Sea Hunt with Lloyd
Bridges.

McNettDuo2 said...

All this talk of scuba movies...
Is anyone else feeling a movie night coming on soon? :-)

Joshwaht... said...

I'm going to go with "Encounters at the End of the World and The Life Aquatic. Because I want to dive Antarctica at some point and Bill Murray is the man (plus there's David Bowie songs in Portuguese!).

Skagital said...

yeah baby manfish with Jane(boom-boom)Russle, thats why I'm smiling....

Jenny Yong said...

Have you seen the Japanese Series "Umizaru"? That was great~!!!