The Group, makes it fun.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Lake Whatcom Underwater Cleanup

Thanks to all 25 of you that came out to help clean up our lake. We cleaned up Bloedel-Donavan Park's boat launch area and headed west to the swim area. The area that we covered was approx. 300x50 yards. This was a small area for the amount of trash that we pulled up and out. The best find was a jar of pickled pigs feet. Yummy. Ron found a fin that was lost from a student of mine from two years ago! You can see the slide show posted on this blog on all the trash that we pulled out.

This event was a lot of fun. I have to admit this was the first time I have organized a full event like this. I unfortunately over looked a really important part. Where do you put all that trash once you pull it out?

I just assumed that we would have been able to take it to our local waste services. We did after all, donate our time to cleanup up a very controversial topic here in town. This lake is our drinking water. If you had a chance to see the huge pile of trash that was pulled out of a very small area, you would have been disgusted. Bystanders on the shore were amazed how much trash was pulled out. Here where the most common questions, "Where did you get that trash from?" The lake. "How did it get there?" People put it there. Seems simple. People dropped the trash, we donated our time to pick it up, collect it, separate it and bag it. We thought it would be no big deal to just to take it to our local waste services. I was wrong.

After a few trips around town, (thanks Jake!) the trash finally found it's home. We had to pay for it to be taken away. So next time you turn on your tap for some water. Think about your local hero's that took the time out of their days to help make your water that much better.

The estimated weight, easily weighed 500 pounds! The cans were 25 pounds just by themselves.

Once again, thanks to all of you who came out to help. You are all amazing and should be proud of a great day of community service!

24 comments:

PNW-DIVER said...

It was great to see so many people helping to cleanup the beach
I took the garbage to Parberry and was able to drop off aluminum there we had 21 pounds and got paid a whopping 4.55
unfortunately SSC controls all the recycling in town and i needed to go to RDS
I seperated the glass and plastic in the bins out front.I went inside and disposed of the rest of the garbage.

Joshwaht... said...

That was a great time, and a service to the community all at once!

Who woulda thought it would be such a hassle to unload all that garbage?

Maybe we should just put it back into the lake again if we're going to get such a hassle about it...

Anonymous said...

Lots of fun. Thanks for organizing the event. Next year maybe do it in cooperation with Sanitary Service or something so we dont get stuck with the garbage.

Yo Scott, how were the pigs feet?

TTOCS said...

I was hoping nobody saw me take those. but since you asked they were greeeaaat!
there has been some talk about maybe going diving this weekend but it would be only for those with their own gear. any interest? anyone?

Chuck said...

why only if you own your own gear?

Anonymous said...

"Own your own gear" - are cylinders available?

Chuck said...

I think he was confused. We have rentals available even cylinders.

Joshwaht... said...

ttocs, confused? What?

Hey, I found those pigs feet!

Bubble Bunch said...

The pictures are great Shawn and I missed a fun time. Well somepeople have to work for there scuba gear. We dont get lucky enough to win it like some people.:( Dont worrie I will get over it.(Sniff Sniff)
Shawn and I are looking to go for a dive on Sunday Posibly. Any takers????

Chuck said...

Sunday, Langley Tire Reef. Leaving at Gone Diving 9:30. Be in Langley 11:30pm. Planning on two tanks dives. Koons, Ttocs and Jake so far.

Joshwaht... said...

Why not Saturday?

I have to leave town on Sunday.

:/

Bubble Bunch said...

Sunday at Langley Tire reef. Shawn and I will be there. Kool!

Anonymous said...

Sunday? I wanna go. Maybe Tara, too. Count me in.

Joshwaht... said...

No! Saturday is better, I'm telling you!

You waaant to goooo on Saaaaturdaaaayy...

Anonymous said...

What is more important on Sunday than diving?

Anonymous said...

I take offense to the comment about winning gear. Just because I have won a couple of times doesn't mean I don't have to buy anything. You have to play to win, which often times means spending a lot of money to get entered into the raffles.

Bubble Bunch said...

I dont mean offence to anyone. Just making a joke. Sorry to offend. I will watch my sense of humer on the blog.

TTOCS said...

Hey bubble bunch
I thought you guys were going to meet us a Langly.
We missed you.

Bubble Bunch said...

Sorry, we missed it. We were really bummed but will be there For the pumpkin contest. How was the dive? Oh Im sure it was awesome as always.

Anonymous said...

Fun dives. Lots of crab to be seen. Rockfish and lingcod were everywhere. Water was calm and visibility was 15-20 feet.

TTOCS said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chuck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joshwaht... said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joshwaht... said...

What happened to the previous 3 posts?