The Group, makes it fun.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Packing up your dive gear

While I was getting ready to take my open water students out for their first open water weekend, I started thinking about what it takes to get ready to go diving. As a diver who owns my own gear the checklist is a bit easier. Those who are renting equipment, need a few more extra steps to make sure their diving day goes well.

When packing to get ready to go diving, I usually start the night before. Since I dive almost every weekend, I am familiar if my gear is working or if I need to recharge my batteries or replace my batteries. Knowing that my computer is still of full battery life and my tanks are full and analyzed for my dives. I have all my dive gear located in one spot, so it is easier for me to go through my check list and pack my bag at the same time. I pull everything aside the night before and have everything ready so when I get to the meeting time, I just grab my stuff and go. In the morning, I just pack a thermos full of hot water, make sure I have enough hot chocolate and apple cider. Grab my directions and the dive posse and we are off.

As for a diver who is renting or borrowing their equipment, they need to make sure they do a extra go over their gear. With the regulators, make sure it is a yoke or din that works with your tanks that you will be using. Check the mouthpieces on the second stages and alt air, making sure that the mouthpiece is secure and the the bite tabs are in place. Checking your BC's low pressure inflater hose connects to the BC. Make sure the low pressure hose connects to your drysuit that you will be using. You have hoses for each. Be familiar with how the primary second stage works and how the alternate air source works and will be secured. Check to see if the BCs weight pockets are connected and how they work. Check to see what kind of cam strap the BC has to make sure you are familiar with how it works. Checking that the air gauge or computer works. No broken needles or low batteries. If using different boots, make sure they work with your fins. Before taking your tanks out, verify that the tanks have pressure.
A quick double check on all these little things really will make or break your dive when you get ready to jump in the water.

When you take the time the night before to get all your equipment put together and ready to go. You show respect for the other divers you are meeting and are all ready to go. Usually, time is sensitive for tides or currents, so making sure you are all set before you get to the dive site is an essential step.

2 comments:

Orthrus said...

Gah! Did I have to come across a diving site...:P

Sorry, just jealous as I am not allowed. I suppose diving is a lot like flying. There's no room for fooling around and the day you don't do a simple check, is the day you end up gasping for air at the bottom of the ocean.

Enjoy! :D

Unknown said...

Dive gear are most useful during the scuba diving. They helps the diver to swim properly and provide proper support during the diving.
dive gear